Pressure Washing your own home
Pressure washing is one of the easiest ways to give your house a
deep exterior cleaning. Whether your home is painted, siding or bricks, a
pressure washer will help you easily get the old dirt off of your home almost effortlessly. Whether or not you use a detergent, you will see amazing results.
There are some instances when you do not want to use a pressure washer. Do not try to remove paint from siding, and make sure to test it if you have older wood. The forceful jet can actually make soft wood break apart, and if the stream is too strong it will dislodge mortar from the bricks.
Pressure washing is not meant for stucco or hardboard. The impact is too much for these materials.
You also want to use caution is your house has paint from before 1987. You will not want to apply the
pressure washer in this instance. It’s advisable to just wash the home yourself, or bring in professionals if you have more than one story.
If you don’t own your own pressure washer, they are available to rent for about $100-$200 for the day. Determine which psi (pounds per square inch) you need. If you have softer materials such as aluminum or wood, go for the 1200-1500 models. The stronger psi’s should be used only for vinyl or unpainted surfaces.
A pressure washer that has stronger jets will decease cleaning time. Make sure that the model you rent has an option to add detergent to the spray.
Once you have the pressure washer, just follow these simple steps to clean your home’s exterior.
- Make sure to get the area prepped. Move any plants or furniture away from the home, cover things that can’t be moved, and make sure any obstructions are out of your way before you start.
- Scrub any mildew off with a cleaning solution and a scrub brush. This will get the exterior prepped.
- Check your hose to make sure it will reach. Attach it to the pressure washer, and add the detergent into the apparatus per the directions.
- Clean your house from top to bottom. This will allow the dirt to run down. You should hold the sprayer at a 45 degree angle about two feet away from the surface. Watch to see that this is giving you the optimal cleaning action. Angle the hose down so that water doesn’t creep in any unsealed spaces.
- Make sure to rinse, then rinse again. Your house will be gleaming. If you are planning to repaint, allow at least two days for the wood to dry.
- Watching the before and after transformation of your home as the mildew and grey marks melt off of your home with a
pressure washer make this well worth the effort and cost.
AcroTech is a full service pressure washing company, using truck mounted industrial
pressure steam washing units. If you need pricing on these type services please go to our online booking system. This is the
simplest way to get online pricing and book your appointment in less than 60 seconds.
Acrotech Cleaning Systems Inc.
Phone: 1-866-866-Clean (25362)